Linking farmland Biodiversity to Ecosystem services for effective eco-functional intensification.
The LIBERATION project aims to provide the evidence-base for the potential of ecological intensification to sustainably enhance food security with minimal negative impacts on the environment. This requires a basic insight in how biodiversity contributes to various ecosystem services and subsequently how ecosystem services contribute to yield and farm income. Key questions that will be addressed are:
- How landscape structure and land-use interact in the provisioning of ecosystem services;
- How farmland biodiversity is related to multiple ecosystem services;
- Whether there are trade-offs between different ecosystem services;
- How ecosystem services are related to farm income;
- How ecosystem services may be influenced by policy measures at the local, national or EU scale.